Where the hampster wheel always turns

About Me

My photo
Middle aged underweight high school graduate
____________________________
"It is not advisable James to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener." - Francisco d'Anconia, Atlas Shrugged
"The soundest way to raise revenues in the long run is to cut taxes now." - John F. Kennedy
____________________________

What kind of world are we coming to when a candidate for Miss USA gets harder questions than the President of the United States? As I stated before, it’s a topsy turvy world when we’re tougher on our beauty queens than our Commander in Chief.

During yesterday’s news conference a New York Times reporter was given the chance to ask our President any one question... he came up a question that actually put me over the edge on this nonsensical media infatuation with Obama. “During your first hundred days what has surprised you the most, troubled you the most, enchanted you the most, and humbled you the most?”

What the heck?

I’m not sure I really care to know his answer to any of those questions.

The irony is, what the President does is a lot like what I do as a wife and mother. So, here’s what I would say, the President is welcome to copy off my answers. (Yes, I have a snarky comment I’m withholding).

I’m most surprised at how hard this job is. From sunup to sundown I’m bombarded with decisions that need to be made, epidemics that need to be contained, budgets that need to be managed and a constituency that is given to whining, and virtually impossible to please.

The most troubling thing is the challenging social environment in which I work. Devoid of consensus on moral issues, work ethic standards and fragile peace treaty negotiations, rarely am I able to have a conversation where everyone is on the same page. Things I think are of vital importance, like nutrition, schoolwork and hygiene, are low on the priority list of my cabinet members.

I’m enchanted by how I look in a swimsuit. People magazine loves me.

Oh wait, I got caught up in the “am I writing about me or him” conundrum.

Finally, NY Times, I’m deeply humbled that you would ask me this probing question. The fact that you want to know the inner workings of my thoughts on my career choice means a tremendous amount to me. It’s of vital importance that our society has an ongoing conversation on the importance of my job. The fact that I have the responsibility to shape and influence so many lives is something I don’t take lightly. I intend to have my hand in every aspect of those lives as my responsibility for their welfare cannot be understated.

Thank goodness we have the Federal Government to look out for us. I can retire now.

0 responses to "Surprised Troubled Enchanted and Humbled"

Leave a Reply