Where the hampster wheel always turns

About Me

My photo
Middle aged underweight high school graduate
____________________________
"It is not advisable James to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener." - Francisco d'Anconia, Atlas Shrugged
"The soundest way to raise revenues in the long run is to cut taxes now." - John F. Kennedy
____________________________


A friend suggested I start another, anonymous blog, telling stories about my family - the Spellman side. Interesting concept that I considered while in a Barnes and Noble bookstore earlier this morning.

Perusing one of the featured tables a title caught my eye...”The Curse of the Spellmans” Clearly author Lisa Lutz has beaten me to the punch in writing my memoirs. Here’s a thumbnail of the first book in her three part series titled “The Spellman Files” :

“In THE SPELLMAN FILES you first meet Isabel Spellman, private investigator. This twenty-eight-year-old may have a checkered past littered with romantic mistakes, excessive drinking, and creative vandalism; she may be addicted to Get Smart reruns and prefer entering homes through windows rather than doors—but the upshot is she's good at her job as a licensed private investigator with her family's firm, Spellman Investigations. Invading people's privacy comes naturally to Isabel. In fact, it comes naturally to all the Spellmans. If only they could leave their work at the office. To be a Spellman is to snoop on a Spellman, tail a Spellman, dig up dirt on, blackmail, and wiretap a Spellman.”

In the spirit of full disclosure I have made my share of romantic mistakes, avoided excessive drinking but do have a creative vandal streak. I’ve been snooped on, tailed, and wiretapped by the Provo, Utah police department. To my knowledge I have not had my dirt dug up, nor been blackmailed, but I am still young, and the odds are against me.

I’m smiling at how badly I want to read these books, merely because my name is in the title. This little encounter has awakened all the narcissism I’ve got crammed in my little body. I’ve googled myself more than once and discovered Spellman is the 4,634 ranked surname in the US, after “Battles” and before “Fang”. Thank goodness we beat the Fangs. Spellman’s got a cardinal, a school, football player, apartments and criminals. A dorm, a stamp and postal museum, a Monopoly game and a teenage witch. The gamut is impressive.

This isn’t my first foray into appellation fascination. In a music store a few years ago a CD caught my eye: Aselin Debison, 12 year old Canadian singer. Since I've always felt the hollow ache of never being able to purchase pre-made keychains, magnets or mugs with my name on them I was exultant at seeing a commercially produced product related to me! Of course I had to purchase the CD. I thoroughly enjoyed Aselin's music and played it over and over.

Then, I found out she had her own PBS special! I was thrilled for us, I mean her. She was doing my, I mean our, name proud, singing her little twelve year old heart out on an outdoor stage in Cape Breton. Of course, my Christmas gift to myself that year was a DVD from Aselin. We’re soul mates.

Unfortunately for me, little Aselin (who is older now) has captured all the .com, blog and twitter accounts for her own use. Since she has a real career, I suppose she can get more use out of them.

So, I recommend to everyone, listen to the Celtic strains of little Aselin, while reading my blog. This way you will avoid The Revenge of the Spellmans... which is a cousin to Montezuma’s Revenge.


1 response to "Ego Surfing"

  1. I too have always felt the sting of never knowing another "Lonica" (despite the fact htat I really like my name). My grandfather had some barretts specially made with my name on them--only time I've ever found an comercially made item with my name on it--which I still wear proudly on occasion. Unfortunately, Drain isn't much of a name to be proud of. I have to admit I was a bit glad to rid myself of it upon marriage.

    Lonica

Leave a Reply