Where the hampster wheel always turns

About Me

My photo
Middle aged underweight high school graduate
____________________________
"It is not advisable James to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener." - Francisco d'Anconia, Atlas Shrugged
"The soundest way to raise revenues in the long run is to cut taxes now." - John F. Kennedy
____________________________

OK, I wanted to walk away. I tried to move on. You all saw how well that went with Earl the Doughnut. (See the March entry entitled ‘Self Discipline?’ if you missed it). I just can’t keep from peeking. My Nemesis, “Blog of Note”, has amassed well over 300 followers. In only three days, she doubled her followers. She’s squishing me like a bug in a competition she doesn’t even know she’s entered. Since the competition began I’ve increased my follower list by 8 percent. She’s increased by 50 percent. I’m like Uzbekistan in the world economy of blog followers.

What’s interesting about this story is not how I’m losing this competition so badly. Hardly an unpredictable headline. What’s interesting is how many people have signed up to follow the Blog of Note just because it was selected to be the Blog of Note. Her content is not that interesting. I’m confident it’s not important to know what kind of cat she would be if she were a cat, the countdown to the second that her semester ends, and how much money she spent on Starbucks (SBUX) in the last few years.

Are the masses that starved for information? It seems to me we are inundated with information each day. Is it this overload that prevents over 150+ people from sifting through it effectively. Is it the sign-up syndrome? Are there a number of people who need to be part of “the group” so badly it’s immaterial what the group is?

Still, I can’t quit checking on her. I thought I was in better control of my psyche, and while I haven’t signed up to follow, I do visit her site and huff at the increase in her numbers each time. Revealing yet another of my unhealthy fixations.

Ruminating on my defeat I realize that in the blogosphere, most of the information, including mine, is only entertainment. The masses have a right to choose their entertainment. In a moment of humility I become aware that my fending off a swarm of bees, leading a goat through town, and trying not to stare at the metal beaded thong is probably not more important than which Starbucks fare “Blog of Note” ordered yesterday.

Although I do hope mine is more fun.


BTW... I couldn't be a cat because I'd have to move out (hubby's allergies), My semester ends when I take the online final, and I've never (yes I did say never) been to Starbucks. Revealing yet another of my oddities.

Let's see if that increases my follower list...

_______________________________________________________

For those following our progress in the food storage challenge, the kids daily siphon water from our blue barrels before breakfast each morning. We use this for all of our cooking, teeth brushing etc. Drinking water comes from our 2 week per person supply of bottled water.

I was able to trade some food for some eggs, so they've requested eggs benedict for breakfast. Dinner will be pasta with bolognese sauce and spinach. I'm going to make the famous breadsticks as well, might even make a double batch and see if I can barter for something else.

_________________________________________________

1 response to "Obsession with the Irrelevant"

  1. I really am only comenting because I have a blog:) so goood story

    Darby Maloney

Leave a Reply