Where the hampster wheel always turns

About Me

My photo
Middle aged underweight high school graduate
____________________________
"It is not advisable James to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener." - Francisco d'Anconia, Atlas Shrugged
"The soundest way to raise revenues in the long run is to cut taxes now." - John F. Kennedy
____________________________

Wal Mart has captured an amazing market segment. It's the kind of stuff evolving capitalism is made of, there is much to be lauded in their success, and a bit to be feared. Not being a small business owner myself, I quite like the local WalMart - s. What I can't quite wrap my brain around is how WalMart seems to bring out a whole new segment of the population from which I was hitherto isolated.

Standing in line #7 of twenty six check out lanes, I was mentally engaged in calculating how long it will take my chosen checker Velma to check out the four items presented by the tattooed, tube-topped woman in front of me. Eyeing this unique specimen ahead of me I became a bit of a spectacle myself in my white T shirt and keds as I squinted and strained trying discreetly to discern if the tattooed boa constrictor inked around her arm did indeed dive down her cleavage as it seemed from my position.  


Leaning too precariously toward the rack of Soap Opera Digest I lost my balance as a strapping young man came to join boa girl.  He slid his arm around her waist and looked me straight in the eye.  I quickly averted my gaze, having been caught in my lechery.  He then said to Velma, "Can you hang on a second" and dropped to the floor.  I was sure he was picking something up, and it took a few seconds for my brain to catch up to the action.  He was down on one knee!  In line number 7 at the Wal Mart.  Boa girl gasped, Velma gaped, I gawked.  Looking around at those who had paused to stare, strapping boy proposed to boa girl.  He announced to everyone it was a remarriage for the couple, as they had split a few years before and it was the biggest mistake of his life.   He missed boa girl and their two children so badly it hurt.

Suddenly this little family was less of a spectacle to me.  I felt the warmth of humanity wash over everyone in line #7, the happy couple, Velma, me, the woman behind me buying cat food and Depends.  I still think of them when I'm in the Wal Mart, and realize that sometimes I need better light.  Even florescent light reflected off a steel girder in a warehouse of a building can do just fine.

2 responses to "Everything at the Wal Mart"

  1. Hilarious. "whole class of people" Ha.

    David

  2. Ooooohhhhh! I loved this story. Did he give her one of those big diamond rings at the checkout stand you can buy for like $8? Either way, that is sweet. I hope they are happy!

    Ann

Leave a Reply