Where the hampster wheel always turns

About Me

My photo
Middle aged underweight high school graduate
____________________________
"It is not advisable James to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener." - Francisco d'Anconia, Atlas Shrugged
"The soundest way to raise revenues in the long run is to cut taxes now." - John F. Kennedy
____________________________

Somehow I've actually paid to be able to communicate less with my children. These new orthodontic appliances have made it extremely hard to understand anything they say. Quite frankly, I'm sure their teachers aren't calling on them in school.

Sitting around the dinner table hubby and I are conducting the nightly ritual of finding out the happenings of their day. It's going something like this:

"So, Unnamed child #1, what did you do today?"

"I had a fantastic day expanding my growing mind with the wonders of learning and possibility."

"Great. Unnamed child #2, how did your day go?"

"Wrble Grumph farqua harku zeelef!"

"Um, great." Figuring that requesting a repetition was pointless we move on.

"Unnamed child #3, how was your day?'

Fortunately this child's palate has expanded rapidly, and therefore the diction is not as garbled. Not clear mind you, but less garbled than #2.

"Today in science (pronounced thienthe) we pwayed where's my penuth"

I choke on my water. Hubby's eyes bug out and the other unnamed children completely lose composure. (BTW, I'm not explaining this to you if you didn't figure it out. Read it out loud if you're confused).

What are they teaching you at that school? We all realize that what is being explained is not what it sounds like, but Unnamed Child #3 keeps talking despite our gffaws. Apparently the class conducted a science experiment that gathered data on some shell-on roasted peanuts. What was being reported was an escalating series of:

"Then I weighed my penuth." "Then I measured my penuth." and finally "We all put our penuths in a basket."

We had completely lost our composure. Doubled over, the four non-scientists were chortling and snorting like the herd of juveniles we are. What made it more entertaining was Unnamed Child #3's complete oblivion to what was going on.

"What is so funny about my penuth?"

Wiping the tears from my eyes I'm completely unable to explain. There is really nothing funny about a penuth.

13 responses to "So What Did You Do Today?"

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    Aselin

  2. too funny :-)

    Anonymous

  3. Anybody want a peanut?!

    Anonymous

  4. I just may have to share this at school tomorrow with my colleagues (including the sthpeech thewapitht)!!!

    Kristi

  5. Oh, I laughed so hard I cried! Awesome.

    Lisa Marie

  6. Comments appear to be working now. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like those dinner conversations a the Maloney household are a riot!

    Anonymous

  7. I am going to pee my panths! I don't think I can eat a peanut w/o remembering that story.

    Unknown

  8. You're paying for the inability to communicate, but you are also paying for some great laughs! What a crack up!

    Lonica

  9. Funny! Your kids are going to be so glad you've written this down.

    Miranda J

  10. Cute!

    Anonymous

  11. Oh Az! That is classic! Thanks for sharing! I can't wait until Boo gets an appliance!

    Sarah Hogan Gowans

  12. WTH. I like peanuts. I find no humor in this at all. Not at all. I'm going to sing myself a song now.

    Donnie Osmond

  13. thank you for posting this on fb - Neil and I are dying from laughter.

    Unknown

Leave a Reply