Where the hampster wheel always turns

About Me

My photo
Middle aged underweight high school graduate
____________________________
"It is not advisable James to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener." - Francisco d'Anconia, Atlas Shrugged
"The soundest way to raise revenues in the long run is to cut taxes now." - John F. Kennedy
____________________________

School started this week. While I was ready for the steady routine, the structure and earlier bedtimes to kick in, I admit I'm a little melancholy as another year begins.

Somehow, overnight, my overwhelming three toddlers became people. Albeit little people, people nonetheless. Everyone dresses themselves, takes care of their own dubious hygiene, makes their own lunch. There were days not too long ago that I longed for the respite from the demands of tiny people. Today, little people don't need me as much. This is the direction I was trying to go with them, but there is a part of me that mourns their toddlerness.

People said it would happen but the bags under my eyes, trash bag of dirty diapers slung over my shoulder like ghetto Santa and Cheerios stuck in my hair led me to disbelieve their promises.

There's nothing like trying to pin down a freshly bathed naked two year old while another freshly bathed naked two year old runs in the opposite direction. People said it was like dressing cats. I had a cat I used to dress up, that was easier.

It was great fun taking three toddlers swimming - especially getting them in swimsuits. That was like taking cats swimming. One would cling to my neck cutting off circulation to my brain while the other two fearlessly tried to get away. I lived in constant panic. Now, all three of those toddlers are great swimmers, one of them is on the high school swim team.

I know it's the circle of life, and there is so much about it that I enjoy. I love our fabulous dinner conversations where they have real thoughts and opinions. I love discussing books we read together, shows we watch together, places we travel together. I love their accomplishments, successes, experiences - everything that's making them who they are.

It's an amazing process. The moments have passed slowly but the years were gone in flash.

Today, as they wave goodbye for the day I'm both deeply sad and amazingly proud.

People said it would happen.

0 responses to "People Said it Would Happen"

Leave a Reply