Where the hampster wheel always turns

About Me

My photo
Middle aged underweight high school graduate
____________________________
"It is not advisable James to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener." - Francisco d'Anconia, Atlas Shrugged
"The soundest way to raise revenues in the long run is to cut taxes now." - John F. Kennedy
____________________________

I have been asked over the years why I don't run for political office. Granted, this question is always posed by people who don't know me very well, but I admit I have toyed with the idea a time or two. Yes, I am a political junkie. A glutton for punishment who pays attention to happenings that make me yell at the television, shake my fist at the radio and crumple up the newspaper. While I have many liberal and conservative friends, I have not met a person who supports the legislative trajectory we've been on for a number of years.

Being a "doer" I play with the idea that I somehow could make a difference. The problem with this idea is my shady past. I am convinced I could never pass the vetting process to be a Girl Scout leader let alone a member of a legislative body. My oratory skills which seem so handy at church and PTA meetings may or may not have been used to talk my way out of a foreign prison or two.

Also, I've been on posters - which may or may not have led to a meeting with John Walsh. And, this may or may not have been a friendly meeting. My passport has racked up a few stamps, all of which are legal, but I may or may not have purchased a Hard Rock Cafe - Moscow, t-shirt off the Soviet black market last time I was there. If there were such an item in my possession, it would be that I loved the irony that while there was no Hard Rock Cafe in Moscow in 1989, there was a thriving capitalist pop-culture underworld.

I'm so convinced that any political opponent would put me through such an excruciating wringer, that I quickly squelch any notions of throwing my hat in the ring. That and the fact that I don't have any real qualifications, unless listening to NPR and watching The O'Reilly Factor a few times a week counts.

My under-qualification is the main reason I think running for office would be another of my exercises in futility.

That is the world inside my brain.

Here is reality: One of our illustrious congressional leaders in action.

Are you kidding me? Good thing Rep. Johnson, D-GA has been voting on our national health insurance reform, stimulus package and other simple legislative concepts. Besides coming away with an even deeper seated fear about our elected representatives, I did increase in respect and admiration for the military. Anyone who could sit straight-faced through that verbal stupor deserves our praise and respect. I couldn't read his name, but I'm voting for Admiral Composure-of-a-Statue. I bet he's not even ticklish. That was the most impressive political display I've seen since... well, maybe ever. Props to the man.

Also, it's a good thing we have our population equally distributed between the coasts, which is why our nation is so stable. So you costal crazies... please just stay there. Rep. Johnson will be heading back to Georgia soon, and if their electorate has any sense, in the name of stability, they'll keep him home.

(Above clip courtesy of @David Carrington)

More Rep. Johnson, D-GA Watch the boogie at the beginning. It never gets better.
This means one thing, among others.

0 responses to "What am I Worried About?"

Leave a Reply