Where the hampster wheel always turns

About Me

My photo
Middle aged underweight high school graduate
____________________________
"It is not advisable James to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener." - Francisco d'Anconia, Atlas Shrugged
"The soundest way to raise revenues in the long run is to cut taxes now." - John F. Kennedy
____________________________



In 1989 I had the opportunity to travel to the Soviet Union. It was a powerful experience that opened my eyes so many of the blessings of America. Blessings I was too nineteen to notice.

While strolling the Moscow streets I met another teen named Andrei. Andrei offered to be a tour guide of sorts and took me around his beleaguered city showing me a kaleidoscope of empty stores with no goods, gilded subways you could ride for a kopek - the equivalent of 1/4 of a penny, delapedated churches, and the stores open only to foreign currency brimming with wares.

Being a teenager, Andrei was fascinated with these stores he was not allowed to enter. I had a golden ticket; I could flash dollars to gain admittance. Like some sort of VIP I was able to get my newfound friend into this exclusive shop. With some of my souvenir money I purchased some food for his family and a roll of tape. It was an awkward exchange for which he was profoundly grateful.

Later I shared lunch with his generous family. There were three generations living in a one room apartment. We enjoyed a lovely afternoon communicating in broken Russian, English and proficient Charades - the universal language. There is something fantastically bonding seeing Babushka Irina, around 90 years old, gesticulating wildly at me to ask if I wanted more sausage.

Andrei and his brother regaled us all with their teen rendition of the Beatles’ “Yesterday.” I’m expert at getting the lyrics wrong but couldn’t contain my giggles when they sincerely began “Yesterday, all my bubbles seemed to fly away!” I don’t know the word for ‘bubbles’ in Russian and couldn’t translate their mondegreen. To this day, I still vividly picture two teens intently strumming as their bubbles flew away wherever I hear the song.

As I gathered to leave, Andrei and his family thanked me for the food. I had asked many naive questions about their economy that day. It was all summed up in the parting scene. Walking down the short hallway with the entire family in tow, Andrei opened up a small hall closet. Inside it was stuffed to the ceiling with boxes. He pulled out a box and opened it for me. Peering in I was surprised to find it was full of money. He motioned to all the the boxes and explained they were all full of money.

This modest family had plenty of money. Money coming out of their ears. Thanks to the government, the money had no value. After this week, I wonder how long until I’m showing someone my closet of money. Yesterday, all my bubbles seemed to fly away...

0 responses to "The Gold Standard"

Leave a Reply