Where the hampster wheel always turns

About Me

My photo
Middle aged underweight high school graduate
____________________________
"It is not advisable James to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener." - Francisco d'Anconia, Atlas Shrugged
"The soundest way to raise revenues in the long run is to cut taxes now." - John F. Kennedy
____________________________

As the dial rolled over ushering in a new decade I found myself at a loss. I know millions of my fellow humanoids are inspired by the passage of time, but I came to terms years ago with the fact that I will not stick to "resolutions" "goals" or "lifestyle choices" unless they involve developing new bad habits.

The sad thing is I could really benefit from the incorporation of some of the fitness, health, or inspirational ideas sold on late night infomercials. I could stand to smooth out a few of my rough edges. This I know, but am highly unmotivated to confront the reality of the mountain of work that would entail. I mentally balance precariously between the fact that I am a better person than the average underwear terrorist and delusion that I am equal to a Salvation Army bell ringer.

Over the holidays someone said to me "After getting past your exterior you're a wonderful person." They then hugged me. All my dreams came true.

How much actual change comes as a result of the New Year? My gourmet cousin has announced her divorce from cheese. All sorts of my friends have announced they are 'giving up sugar,' 'getting in shape,' 'being kinder.' Yes all noble goals, but how many of them will really last? Is the January momentum enough to carry them across the finish line? What is the finish line? How do you measure when you've gone long enough without cheese? At what point is one pinned with the "Kind Enough" medal?

So another year passes, actually it was another decade, and I find myself in no better shape, not much wiser and still eliciting snarky comments from new acquaintances.

Thank goodness some people are willing to get past my exterior.

Please pass the cheese.

0 responses to "Happy New Year"

Leave a Reply