Where the hampster wheel always turns

About Me

My photo
Middle aged underweight high school graduate
____________________________
"It is not advisable James to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener." - Francisco d'Anconia, Atlas Shrugged
"The soundest way to raise revenues in the long run is to cut taxes now." - John F. Kennedy
____________________________


This week on Facebook people have been posting in their profile box a photo of a celebrity that looks like them. It's been enlightening to see who people think they look like. Some are pretty close and some are pretty, well, let's just say a lot of my friends apparently are on drugs.

Shortly after hubby and I were married I was getting to know a number of people in a church congregation that was new to me, but hubby had been attending for years. Because hubby had a relationship with most everyone there they felt a little safer approaching me randomly. This was fine, except I have a hard time keeping names straight. Faces, I'm good with, but names flutter around my gray matter like moths who sometimes land on the target, but often just batter up against the wall of my skull.

So imagine my delight when one fine Sunday afternoon an overly friendly brother sidles up to me and says, "Ever since you've moved in, you remind me of a celebrity."

Awww. How sweet. He then starts fumbling for her name. After a few "Ums" and "Uhs" I start throwing out suggestions I had heard before: "Kristy McNichol?" "No." He emphatically shakes his head.

I'm wracking my brain trying to think of celebrities people have told me I reminded them of.

"Molly Ringwald?"

"No" even more emphatically.

"Sally Fields?"

"No!"

He's developed an acute frown and I'm feeling extremely awkward. To be honest, when we started this conversation I wasn't particularly interested in the celebrity I reminded him of, and now that we've spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to pick one, I just wish he would lie to me and PICK ONE!

Now, I'm at a loss. Even I think this one is a flattering stretch, but I throw it out there... "Audrey Hepburn?"

"Noooo.....................

"Aaaahaaa!" He holds up his finger like he's made some sort of important discovery and I'm so excited to learn the glamourous eminence he pictured every time I entered his line of sight. I'm lost in my musings when his exclamation pulls me back to a screeching reality as he yells out:

"OLIVE OYL!!!"

Oh. Yeah. Um, thanks. Is it the nose, the stick legs or the big shoes?

0 responses to "Doppelganger"

Leave a Reply