Where the hampster wheel always turns

About Me

My photo
Middle aged underweight high school graduate
____________________________
"It is not advisable James to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener." - Francisco d'Anconia, Atlas Shrugged
"The soundest way to raise revenues in the long run is to cut taxes now." - John F. Kennedy
____________________________

Recently I received an e-mail with the attached advice. I've included my own additional advice/warnings which, while the first person's advice has potential, it lacks the edge that I find fulfilling in my own life. So here are 15 ways to enjoy life, guidance on how well you enjoy it complements of me.

1. Take a deep breath each morning and think of ten things you are grateful for, ten things you are happy about and ten things you are confident in. This meditation will help you start your day in a good mood. Of course, with the kids out of school the day has the potential to devolve into the equivalent of a WWF fight using peanut butter and pool water.

2. Try something new the next time you grocery shop. You might find that a fresh brand of crackers is perfect with the low-fat cream cheese you have at home. You might find an interesting brand of chili sauce is delightful on scrambled egg sandwiches. You might even discover a different flavor of juice. Open your eyes and see what is there for you. Or, you can discover that being a creature of shopping habit is safer since the family rebellion that ensues from “changing it up” makes the Boston Tea Party look like a Girl Scout meeting.

3. Walk around your block and take photographs of small details that you usually overlook. Do your best not to get turned into the cops by a neighbor you haven’t bothered to meet.

4. Read. My blog.

5. Sit on the couch (or porch or stoop or bench) and have a quiet conversation with someone you enjoy. No one does this anymore. It seems like a quaint throwback idea until you watch what actually goes on in front of your house and start feeling your blood pressure boil as people speed recklessly by and dogs pee on your lawn.

6. Create something. There is nothing like using your creativity to increase your happiness-quota for the day. Just knowing you have brought something - anything - into the world that didn't previously exist, brings a sense of satisfaction. The problem with creativity is it usually involves cleaning up. For me, this ruins all the fun of creativity. Paint, glue, glitter, dirt, clay, flour, sugar - it’s all a disaster in the making.

7. Do something nice for someone. It would be fine if you chose me of course.

8. Do something unexpectedly nice for someone. Again, need I say more?

9. Do something nice for someone you feel might not deserve it. While I certainly don’t have lots of experience in this area, I imagine this would generate a certain amount of suspicion. If you show up on my door telling me you just mowed my lawn, washed the dog or bought me a new car I’m wondering what will come next. Likely you will wait a few days and then casually mention that you need a kidney, and you really wish you knew someone who had two. For the record, you may have my appendix, but I’m not so sure about the kidney. It would have to be something REALLY nice. Better than a car.

10. Relax and realize that everyone should have nice things happen to them. You have just been a part of making sure something nice happened to one more individual. Well this just blows my last soliloquy to bits. And no, you may still not have a kidney.

11. Write (and send) a thank you note. Now, this one I am a firm believer in. I have stacks and stacks of blank cards all purchased with the intention of thanking anyone who does anything nice for me. There they sit...

12. Sing. Yeah, I’ve been asked not to. More than once.

13. Dance to music in commercials. For this to happen they’re going to have to up the musical quality in the commercials I’ve seen lately. It’s hard to get your groove on listening to the “Hot Pockets” boogie, or the “Pepto Bismol” mambo. Although Pepto has been kind enough to provide dance moves with their jingle so you may see me bust-a-move in the near future.

14. Look at yourself in the mirror and say, "I'm lovable, loving and loved." And, mean it. And gosh darn-it, people like me. Then you get to become embroiled in a legal battle to become a Senator from Minnesota. No thanks.

15. Thank God for everything He has blessed you with. It's quite a lot, after all. AAAAAAMEN!

0 responses to "15 Ways to Enjoy Life"

Leave a Reply