Where the hampster wheel always turns

About Me

My photo
Middle aged underweight high school graduate
____________________________
"It is not advisable James to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener." - Francisco d'Anconia, Atlas Shrugged
"The soundest way to raise revenues in the long run is to cut taxes now." - John F. Kennedy
____________________________

The first quiet moment I've found in the past week is actually one full of higher decibels than one would expect for quiet. Somehow my house is full of screaming teenagers. Music is blaring (sorry neighbors) a chorus of teenagers singing lyrics I'm getting all too familiar with drown out any rational thought that might form in my little brain.

In theory we planned to be parents who welcomed our kids friends. They would be more safe and secure under our discreet watchful eyes. That was sooo during the toddler years. It seemed like a good idea at the time - know where they are, who they're with and what they're doing. Such theories are for stupid people who don't want to sleep.

I would say I'm envious of hubby who was wise enough to be "away" during these festivities... but he's on a boy scout camp out. An extravaganza of burping, farting and fire punctuated by the one kid who throws up in your tent because he wouldn't stop eating licorice. I suppose I got the good part of the deal.

Interesting thing is I know these moments will fly by. These early teen years will be but a memory all too quickly. One day I'll wander the halls of my home trying to hear the echoes of these parties. Girls I mentored when they were twelve are now married with blogs and even children of their own. Time is flying by too quickly.

So while tonight I'll be up later than normal... sleeping well has less to do with the clock and more to do with a sense of security.

4 responses to "As Time Goes By"

  1. They years WILL go by all to quickly for you As. Being one of the girls you mentored I know for a fact that you are impacting any teenager that comes to your home for the better. They'll thank you some day for caring about them. Thank you As for caring about me. You made a huge difference in my teenage years. I love you for this, it made me a better teenager, friend, wife and mother. Thank you.

    Erin Chavez

  2. Word for the wise, if any of your teenage children want to have several bands come perform at your house for the child's birthday - don't let them. Even if you do have a basement where they can all go. It has been many years since that momentous occasion and our walls are still vibrating.

    bdrain

  3. Erin, that may be the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me. Loving you has been very easy!

    Aselin

  4. Aselin, at the beginning of my own mothering experience, I have to say that I'm greatly looking forward to the days in which I might get a good night's rest. I don't see that happening for quite a few years, unfortunately... I wish you luck!

    Lonica

Leave a Reply