Where the hampster wheel always turns

About Me

My photo
Middle aged underweight high school graduate
____________________________
"It is not advisable James to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener." - Francisco d'Anconia, Atlas Shrugged
"The soundest way to raise revenues in the long run is to cut taxes now." - John F. Kennedy
____________________________

Logging in to my blog this morning to post my daily musing I’m notified of the Blogspot “Blog of Note” blog for the day. (Only a few short years ago the key words in that sentence didn’t even exist.) Say that five times fast.

Of course I’m curious. I’m enjoying my little blog and appreciate everyone who takes the time to read and comment. Up until I was ‘encouraged’ to try blogging all these little thoughts just bounced around in my head or took up space on the black hole of my hard drive.

So, I click on the link. Sometimes I click the link at the top of my own blog that says ‘next blog’. It takes you to a random series of blogs, most that tend to be in foreign languages. I dabble in a few languages, so it’s fun to try and cypher what the blogger is saying. I especially like to sullen poetry that seems to be popular in Chilean blogs.

Anyway, I click on the “Blog of Note” link excited to see what cyberspace has to offer this morning. In general, I don’t spend a lot of mental energy comparing myself to others. I always lose when I do that, so I’ve trained my brain to be pretty happy with what is. I must admit as I look at this blog, it is WAY more aesthetically interesting than mine. OK, I know EVERY blog is more aesthetically interesting than mine, that’s not my thing. But this “Blog of Note” is a veritable cornucopia of tidbits, countdowns, twitters, cat pictures and followed blogs. Across the banner is a beautiful Ansel Adams type photo of a bridge, after that it gets pretty messy.

I’m a content girl, so I ignore all the noise in the margins and dive right in to her post for the day, then her post for yesterday, then her post for the day before. Apparently to become the “Blog of Note” you must answer lists of questions about what’s on your nightstand, what concerts you’ve attended, and how much sleep you got last night.

Now, I wish mankind well, but I can assure you I could care less how much sleep you all got last night. I barely care how much sleep I got last night. This kind of discussion puts me to sleep. This blogger has 151 apparently sleep-obsessed followers. Plus those of us who were duped into getting excited about the “Blog of Note” for the day.

I LOVE a great musing. I read a series of different pieces daily and even if I disagree with the author, I love the intellectual awakening engendered from the exchange. This blog made the left side of my brain hurt from atrophy.

My list of followers is much smaller - eleven who will actually admit to reading, five who will actually put a face to their name. I feel so protective of my little flock. Every time a new follower joins I jump for joy. I couldn’t imagine putting them through the exercise of reading about how much sleep I got, but this may be where I go wrong. Numbers don’t lie, and 151 people are interested in what “Blog of Note” is doing.

So for today, I remain at peace with the fact that my musings don’t attract the masses. The masses are stupid. For evidence, just watch T.V.

Although if my numbers go down, I may resort to discussing how much sleep my dog got last night...



Blog of Note:

www.remembermoments0823.blogspot.com/

3 responses to "Noise in the Margins"

  1. I am proud to put my face on your little blog! I look forward to the daily musings of your mind. I admit, it can be a bit scary at times, but in the end, I think it helps me feel better since I realize that perhaps we are all a little more like each other than we realize. Thank you Az, for my daily dose of entertainment! And BTW, I would be thrilled to be up to 11 followers! :)

    Sarah Hogan Gowans

  2. Wow! You weren't kidding! I wonder what all those people find so interesting about what is on "Blog of Notes" nightstand. By the way... her followers are now up to 195. Really?

    Sara Jennings

  3. Yours is way better.

    David

Leave a Reply