Where the hampster wheel always turns

About Me

My photo
Middle aged underweight high school graduate
____________________________
"It is not advisable James to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener." - Francisco d'Anconia, Atlas Shrugged
"The soundest way to raise revenues in the long run is to cut taxes now." - John F. Kennedy
____________________________


When children move out, I understand parents are often grieved that their child has matured to a new life stage. It is common to keep the child’s room just the way it was for many years until finally, the parents can accept the child has become an adult.

This wasn’t the case with me or my room. As my relieved parents waved goodbye to me at college, there were no tears of separation. They have told me on many occasions they were thrilled to see me go. Apparently I wasn’t the fun, easygoing spirit I am today.

So now, faced with an extra room, what were they to do? Some families put in a work out room. Some a library or a hobby room. I’ve heard of media rooms, guest rooms, and art rooms. What I’ve never heard of, from a non-Asian family of course, is the installation of a family shrine. To the best of my knowledge we’re not Asian. So imagine my surprise on returning home to find my previously teen-decorated bedroom turned into the family shrine.

Now, most shrines that I’ve seen contain photos of items belonging to deceased ancestors. Not this shrine. Excepting the photos of Benson and Hedges, our long deceased house cats everyone else in the shrine is very much alive. There are medals, ribbons, photos, plaques, trophies, awards, certificates, proclamations, newspaper clippings, medallions, diplomas - it’s a veritable collection of approbation.

The amount of time and effort it must have taken someone (clearly one of my parents) to assemble, arrange and display this stuff is mind boggling. It’s also boggling how much stuff we’ve been awarded as a group. We’ve always seemed somewhat average; I had no idea we were so decorated. After seeing this room, who wouldn’t want to hang out with us? We’re amazing.

Well, not all of us. After a quick count my sister has about 60 items displayed. She is an amazing athlete and was even named to the Ventura County Sports Hall of Fame. I have 14 items displayed and after looking closer at some of them three aren’t really mine. The Rotary award for “Daughter of the Year” is really a swipe at my dad since the plaque contains the inscription “Thank goodness she took after her mother.” I was never actually presented with this award, they gave it to dad at a meeting, likely fined him dues for receiving it, and he hung it on my section of the wall. Luckily I was still deemed worthy to contribute to the family collection.

So next time you’re thinking “Who should I go to lunch with today?” Remind yourself, nothing says scintillating like someone related to a County Hall of Famer!

0 responses to "The Extra Room"

Leave a Reply