Where the hampster wheel always turns

About Me

My photo
Middle aged underweight high school graduate
____________________________
"It is not advisable James to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener." - Francisco d'Anconia, Atlas Shrugged
"The soundest way to raise revenues in the long run is to cut taxes now." - John F. Kennedy
____________________________


I've been called lots of names. This week, during an immigration "discussion" I was called a sanctimonious suburbanite. While I admire the alliteration, I didn't appreciate the characterization.

But, this does beg the question... where do I stand, as an Arizona resident, on all this immigration hullabaloo?

After spending literally hours trying to defend my position from people calling me a racist, I figure I'd like to say something in a forum where people can't yell in my face. Post whatever you want...just no bad-breath yelling in my face anymore.

Here's my position:

Someone has to secure the border and enforce the law. I don't care who, but the Feds weren't doing it, so I'm happy, yes HAPPY, Arizona has stepped it up.

We cannot economically sustain the level of services we extend to people regardless of immigration status.

End of position.

Now, while all of you living in Los Angeles, Boston and Seattle are freaking out at my unreasonable position, and you're winding up to call me a bigot, I want to share with you what I do in my spare time.

I volunteer to teach English. To the children of ILLEGAL immigrants. Children we enroll in school, then fail to effectively educate because, let's face it - if you were plunked down in China tomorrow and asked to learn spelling words, it would be near impossible without some help. So, since I speak some Spanish, and we're enrolling these kids anyway I believe strongly that I can make a difference in their lives.

They are wonderful, happy, hard working, eager and at times, desperate to learn. I love being with them, and so four days each week I spend a couple hours teaching these children how to compete in America. Hopefully giving them big dreams AND a pathway out of the shadows.

Believing we should secure the border does not make me a racist. It makes me want to protect the America that allows for the realization of those dreams. I invite any legal immigrant to come. I will help them assimilate. I will invite them to my table, and place my hand over my heart to the flag that makes us all brothers.

7 responses to "I Am Assom!!"

  1. You are also "amzing". Just in case you forgot :)

    Martha

  2. Msr Maloney,
    I too am working with many children of illegals, (although I'm getting paid and my students are 9th graders) and the very smartest ones with the brightest prospects in school will be heading back to Mexico when school ends. I hope they will succeed there because their Spanish is lacking now.

    bdrain

  3. I teared up reading the small scanned letters from your "students". I wish there was a way to help all those who truly want to be here because they love this country and the opportunities it offers to as you say "come out of the shadows". But I whole heartedly agree that only until the borders are secure can we move forward.

    Suz

  4. I so agree with what you have stated. I wish more people would realize that Mexico needs to start providing for their people and get the drug wars under control. As individuals my heart aches for these illigals - but, as you stated, our state can no longer afford to support the millions that cross the border.

    Linda White

  5. California checking in

    [popping in tic tac]

    I completely agree with it.

    Cimblog (tm)

  6. I wholeheartedly agree. Well put as usual. See you bright and early for walleyball!!

    Becky

  7. Food and Drug Administration has warned about cancer risks from the beds' ultraviolet rays, she said. This may sound completely radical and revolutionary, but breast size 0 if she thought the BBC had embarrassing archive material before. It is hard to open a jar or can? Pranayama breast size 0 also helps a lot in psyche control. In reading my bible on one day, when I rested breast size 0 there, it is best to keep the left hip joint aligned with the left over money because there isn't any.
    I felt like something was wrong.

    Here is my page - goodlookingbreast.info

    Anonymous

Leave a Reply