Where the hampster wheel always turns

About Me

My photo
Middle aged underweight high school graduate
____________________________
"It is not advisable James to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener." - Francisco d'Anconia, Atlas Shrugged
"The soundest way to raise revenues in the long run is to cut taxes now." - John F. Kennedy
____________________________

Recovering from the hangover of our Mother's Day celebration, it's hard not to take stock of my influence as a mother. The day is filled with gushing speeches, tear-jerking NPR memorials and awkward moments as handmade gifts wrapped in paper bags as shoved at you.

While the Mother's Day celebration my family put on was fantastic - tasty breakfast, lovely gifts, poetry and I wasn't punked at church this year. All in all I considered it a fantastic success. Yeah.

That was until unnamed child #1 excitedly came in to my room jumping up and down about the $1 pleather Miley Cyrus pants they had purchased at WalMart. Pleather???? Miley Cyrus??? $1???

All the approbation I felt at the amazing bargain shopping accomplishment - and buying pants for a dollar is pretty dang good - was quashed by the selection of the garment. I mean really, PLEATHER??? I thought we had gone over this: pleather should not be purchased under ANY circumstances... even for a dollar. Just as I started hyperventilating, the kid felt like driving the nail into my coffin. "I am going to wear them in P.E." they excitedly declared.

What kind of P.E. class are you taking? Pole dancing? Sheesh.

As I'm speed-dialing the principal the kid assures me, "We all got them, we're going to wear them together." Oh, that makes everything better. Now they have an entire middle school pleather army learning pole dancing. That makes me feel muuuuch better.

Really, how can this happen. I am a responsible parent who thought I had effectively imparted important wisdom to my progeny. Clearly, with the intrusion of this newest pleather garment, I have failed.

5 responses to "All My Work Has Been For Naught"

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    Karinabot

  2. I remember my first pleather pants purchase, my dad immediately purchased them back from me for double the purchase price and I thought...I should buy more inappropriate clothing.

    Karinabot

  3. I don't think she would part with them for even ten times the purchase price.

    Also, why am I not surprised that you have a pleather purchase that can be characterized as your "first"? I'd like to see your seventh pleather purchase to see if pleather has iterations that are more fashionable than Miley Cyrus' version.

    Your mom also wants to borrow the pants next time she visits. ;)

    Aselin

  4. There is a time and place for pleather. Certainly, not gym class! Only at the carnival after High School graduation.
    Love,
    Bad Sandy

    Anonymous

  5. Dear Bad Sandy,

    I blame you.

    Aselin

Leave a Reply