Where the hampster wheel always turns

About Me

My photo
Middle aged underweight high school graduate
____________________________
"It is not advisable James to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener." - Francisco d'Anconia, Atlas Shrugged
"The soundest way to raise revenues in the long run is to cut taxes now." - John F. Kennedy
____________________________

Like I’ve discussed before, I have wonderful and interesting people in my life. I’ve enjoyed connecting and reconnecting with many of them on the social networking site Facebook. People who matter to me, but who I have lost contact with, or who are outside my daily routine. Quite frankly, without e-mail people are lucky to hear from me once a year in my Christmas letter.

As I follow my ring of friends and family on Facebook, I’m struck with how much people in my life mean to me, and often, how little I know about them. Most of the time I consider this deficit of knowledge a bad thing and am interested in the varied status updates, quiz results and vacation photos.

Tonight I’m completely rethinking that point of view.

As I’m reading different posts from people in my life I come across one that puzzles me and makes me wince.

So and so sends so and so a “Don’t worry I won’t let go” card using Lesbian Greeting Cards.

Yes you read that right.

Now, this begs a few observations. Yes, I know this person is a lesbian and in general because it doesn’t come up in conversation it doesn’t bother me. It’s just something I choose not to discuss with any of my friends - gay or straight. None of my business really. Don’t ask, don’t tell; it’s very Clintonian of me.

I also understand the need to differentiate oneself in the marketplace, find your niche. But Lesbian Greeting Cards? Really? How are lesbian cards different from regular cards. Wait, don’t answer that.

So here’s my conundrum: do I really want to know stuff about people I care about or just the ones who reside within my comfort zone?

I don’t know the answer to that. I do know that while I do not want to receive a Lesbian Greeting Card, I do want to stay connected with this person.

Apparently, being friends with me is much like being in the military. I won’t ask and you, please, please, don’t tell.

0 responses to "Don't Ask"

Leave a Reply